Members Login
 

Topic: OT - Lets have some rules - your ideas please

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 2379
Date:

OT - Lets have some rules - your ideas please

Permalink  
 

OK so moving on from the OT thing that looks pretty easy to grasp, I think it's time to get some other stuff in place, and probably a good time as its the international break.

 

Here are some of my ideas (mostly making some of those new post icons at the top of the box).

1. Use the Orange Question Mark to represent an after match thread, so all people's views of a game can be in one post and not spread all over the place

2. Use the Beer icon to denote anything that's 'Adult Theme'

3. As user to user communication is disabled (there is a private chat box function & ability to email each other), then if your post is to someone particular use the white envelope icon.

4. Do we want to have a match thread ?

5. Do we want a particular thread that highlights any areas on the internet where the match can be accessed.  This is a grey area, but again it will be confusing if there are multiple posts of this kind of stuff.

Moderation.

We need to investigate a sin bin / banning procedure so we can make it a sticky so everyone knows what consequences we adopt for particular actions.

 

That's all I can think of for now - if you've got any more post here, I will give it until Wednesday 19th to collect everything together so we can get it on here before the Birmingham game



__________________

FA Licensed Coach & Referee

 

Youth Team
Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Date:
Permalink  
 
The white envelope is disabled so can't be used fella

__________________
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 2379
Date:
Permalink  
 
Bat Fasterd wrote:

The white envelope is disabled so can't be used fella


 Just to clarify.

Start a new post - I'll delete it if necessary.  At the top of the page is a 2nd set of icons (not the smileys on the left), is the white envelope unusable?



__________________

FA Licensed Coach & Referee

 

Reserve Team
Status: Offline
Posts: 427
Date:
Permalink  
 
Hi Exeter, you're obviously putting a great amount of effort into setting up this site, thanks very much for doing so. It's great not having ads, but we also need to rid ourselves of the other scourge that was on MM, the verbal abuse that was flung around whenever "opinions" were stated as facts, and people disagreed. Personally I think this needs to be stamped on hard, as a number of good contributors to MM felt compelled to stop posting as a result. (Nice to see Poddington posting on here by the way.) I also felt that unless I toed the line with people's opinions, I would be rebuked, and consequently posted only occasionally, although I regularly read the threads.

Anyway, good luck with the new board, I hope it is very successful.

__________________
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 2379
Date:
Permalink  
 
Unifier wrote:

Hi Exeter, you're obviously putting a great amount of effort into setting up this site, thanks very much for doing so. It's great not having ads, but we also need to rid ourselves of the other scourge that was on MM, the verbal abuse that was flung around whenever "opinions" were stated as facts, and people disagreed. Personally I think this needs to be stamped on hard, as a number of good contributors to MM felt compelled to stop posting as a result. (Nice to see Poddington posting on here by the way.) I also felt that unless I toed the line with people's opinions, I would be rebuked, and consequently posted only occasionally, although I regularly read the threads.

Anyway, good luck with the new board, I hope it is very successful.


 Duly noted.

And in agreement.  As I will be more involved with moderation on this site you can be sure I will make it as pleasant an experience as possible  MM has become pretty clicky, but it has because it hasn't been looked after properly.

I'm excited about the adventure.  I think the more people see this place the more will use it.



__________________

FA Licensed Coach & Referee

 

Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 2379
Date:
Permalink  
 

Another one - might help if you've posted a video that you put so in the Title?

e.g.  Rev's Goal (video)

Dunno what purpose that serves - just seems like netiquette?



__________________

FA Licensed Coach & Referee

 

Reserve Team
Status: Offline
Posts: 473
Date:
Permalink  
 

Regarding rules and regs etc, i'd love to see a ban on multi users, if that's possible, i don't know how or why they do it, but it's underhand and not really called for, it almost always leads to conflict, and therefore cannot be of any use in a forum.



__________________
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 2379
Date:
Permalink  
 

Annoying yeah, can't see the point either.

Keep em comin



__________________

FA Licensed Coach & Referee

 

Vice-Captain
Status: Offline
Posts: 1500
Date:
Permalink  
 
Millmoormagic wrote:

Regarding rules and regs etc, i'd love to see a ban on multi users, if that's possible, i don't know how or why they do it, but it's underhand and not really called for, it almost always leads to conflict, and therefore cannot be of any use in a forum.


 

This is the main gripe of mine about MM,  on other boards I use the Mods stamp down on all rule breakers and abusers, this firm hand seems to keep a good atmosphere and encourages good behaviour.  

 

Everyone is allowed a 2nd chance so why not have a 3 strikes and your out rule? Maybe we could have a life Ban for the idiots, that should help keep the riff-raff off this board? If they camt behave then why should we tolerate them? 

 

No abuse at all, control the sarcasm and give out warnings, if they cant take a hint then bye bye.



__________________
Youth Team
Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Date:
Permalink  
 

A reminder in the rules to keep threads 'on topic'.

Zero abuse.

OKK mentioned sarcasm which is often down to peoples interpretation and sense of humour. If this is a forum with a community feel we should be able to simply say if we feel something can be taken the wrong way an accepted by the poster. ie: self moderation to a certain extent without abuse.

Read other posts before starting new topics, some people can be quite cryptic in thread titles leading to multiple threads on the same topic.



__________________
Vice-Captain
Status: Offline
Posts: 1500
Date:
Permalink  
 

I know there will be Off topic threads but can we minimise or even not allow OT's on  Religion and Politics? These often turn argumentative and end in fall out.  Do we need such matters discussed on a football Forum? Im sure we could get by without such threads.



__________________
Vice-Captain
Status: Offline
Posts: 1500
Date:
Permalink  
 
stevemiller wrote:

A reminder in the rules to keep threads 'on topic'.

Zero abuse.

OKK mentioned sarcasm which is often down to peoples interpretation and sense of humour. If this is a forum with a community feel we should be able to simply say if we feel something can be taken the wrong way an accepted by the poster. ie: self moderation to a certain extent without abuse.

Read other posts before starting new topics, some people can be quite cryptic in thread titles leading to multiple threads on the same topic.


 I agree Steve



__________________
Moderator
Status: Offline
Posts: 2379
Date:
Permalink  
 
One_Kevin_Kilmore wrote:

I know there will be Off topic threads but can we minimise or even not allow OT's on  Religion and Politics? These often turn argumentative and end in fall out.  Do we need such matters discussed on a football Forum? Im sure we could get by without such threads.


 Yes they can be, I think rather than blanket ban, I'd rather see how the OT and Yellow Warning triangles go - the triangle in particular is an excellent way to quickly ignore those non football related posts (I realise you can't see this on the mobile site version).

I did think also to separate the message board up.  At the moment we only use 1 topic list, hence everything is in one list but thought it would be a pain for those who do engage in all manner of discussion, to constantly switch lists.  But these things aren't set in stone, it's early days yet and once we're hopefully more established we can start putting votes up & letting the community decide democratically smile



__________________

FA Licensed Coach & Referee

 

Reserve Team
Status: Offline
Posts: 207
Date:
Permalink  
 
One_Kevin_Kilmore wrote:

I know there will be Off topic threads but can we minimise or even not allow OT's on  Religion and Politics? These often turn argumentative and end in fall out.  Do we need such matters discussed on a football Forum? Im sure we could get by without such threads.


Agree 100% 



__________________
Reserve Team
Status: Offline
Posts: 115
Date:
Permalink  
 
Can we just have one page of the site that is for football and sport only and a separate one for anything else other than sport I.E Religion an politics?
Im no computer buff myself Exeter and don't know if this is a easy thing to do with the site,and top marks for doing what you have done i was never a fan of MM and i take my hat off to you Exeter for having the balls to do it and of course the time and effort.

Well done

__________________
ian
Club Legend
Status: Offline
Posts: 5857
Date:
Permalink  
 
Would support seperation of football and other threads pages.

__________________
ian
Club Legend
Status: Offline
Posts: 5857
Date:
Permalink  
 
I think the new site has lots to offer and ideally we should be looking to offer an alternative to the other sites. The question of a tidy board and navigation is one example that this board could make the most of given its obvious advantage. Without doubt this board is ultra user friendly and it wouldn't hurt to make it more organised. So, separate pages for topics, match page, mom ratings, ?


__________________
Vice-Captain
Status: Offline
Posts: 1200
Date:
Permalink  
 

A few random points.

Moderators - in order to be respected they should be impartial as between users.  Ten years on MM showed me that it was often not what you said but who said it that determined reactions. 

Ban on politics and religion - sounds good but a nightmare in reality.  Too many grey areas and overlaps.  Better imo just to ignore threads you aren't interested in.

Banning - can we please use some common sense here.  If someone is getting a bit over-excited, or says something insulting or aggressive, we should give them the chance to reflect, withdraw the comment, apologise or whatever before resorting to bans.

'Adult themes' - Wow, Exeter, you've got my attention here!

 

 



__________________
ian
Club Legend
Status: Offline
Posts: 5857
Date:
Permalink  
 
Agree with ridgeway 100%.

I would like to see an apology option before a temp ban. I am not in favour of a permanent ban, but 3 strikes and increasing time bans.



__________________
Vice-Captain
Status: Offline
Posts: 1780
Date:
Permalink  
 
Millmoormagic wrote:

Regarding rules and regs etc, i'd love to see a ban on multi users, if that's possible, i don't know how or why they do it, but it's underhand and not really called for, it almost always leads to conflict, and therefore cannot be of any use in a forum.


 

 

Multi users have spoiled MM. I think we know some of them. It's tedious and tiresome.



__________________
1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.