Members Login

Topic: Horse Racing and betting

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Reserve Team

Horse Racing and betting

In the early seventies i wrote in a magazine called Bredwinner run by a very good friend of mine called Eddie Wood. He used methods back then that was miles ahead of his time and he asked me to look at the Northern racing and also to put anything i thought was relevant into my piece. I was interested in the draw back then and i had a method in sprint handicaps that had great success. It was simple, back any horse drawn in the highest four stalls that was in the first four in the betting over 5 furlongs at Beverley and had at least 14 runners in it.. Many big wins happened and many forecasts and tricasts were won.

I worked for BSC, and myself and a friend decided to take bets. We had a lot of punters wanting to back with us as there were no tax on our bets. The rates in the betting shops were around 9%. There was also a bookie up at the Templeborough end but he didn't want the big bets and laid off with us. In 1978 -82 the average amount on with us was around £250 a day. You had to know what you were doing but in all those years we never had a pay out anywhere near our limit of £1500.

Today is a different kettle of fish. The advance of Betfair, computers, etc, etc. I tend to concentrate on the N.H season but i do not bet in the traditional way. I dutch, have 20/80's, straight win, each way and lay favourites, never multiples.. One thing i learned from my bookie days is you cannot win backing short price favourites on a regular basis or win using multiple bets, such as trebles, fourfolds, fivefolds etc.. You have to find a niche and forever look at what you are doing and changing with the way racing and betting is developing.

I will finish by commenting on Gwru's belief that Goshen could be a good bet for the champion hurdle. I use stats as one of my ways in. Since 1985 when See You Then won it as a 5 y.o we have had only 2 winners in the next 35 years as 5.y.old.. Katchit won in 2008 but would have been a well beaten second if Sizing Europe hadn't broken down when cantering over the field. Then in 2019 Espoir D'Allen won after Bouveur D'Air and Sharlah fell and the first four in the betting all under performed. It can be done and Goshen looks a useful prospect. If he had stood up his time would have been  around 3 secs slower than the County Hurdle ran 40 minutes later. Now the winner of that a 5 y.old who is a massive improver might be one to keep an eye on when he steps up into grade one company. I will post a bit more if you want Gwru as i believe i know a little bit about this game.

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Vice-Captain
Date:

whiston01 just seen your post, I rarely look on O/T Discussion. Be honest with you I've cut back on gambling but love the sport especially NH. I've always done better on NH so I concentrate on that now. I probably won't be back into horseracing now till next October 1st jump meeting of the season at Chepstow. I like Punchestown festival at the end of April if it's on but can no longer see it now it's on pay racing CH. Goshen was the one horse I took out of this years Cheltenham festival, was that far clear in the Triumph got to be one for next years CH hurdle. I've been into horseracing longer than I care to admit so hope I've learnt what works for me. I do look at the ratings they do tell you in most races what can't win then it's up to what you go on to find the winner. Hope we are all here when we come out of covid-19 horseracing can wait for now.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.